Far too often media campaigns are setup in a rush to meet a deadline, without collaboration across various teams, causing key factors to the success of the campaigns to fail, costing the advertising customers and potential a client for the Media agencies.
Below are a basic few checks to make before pushing that campaign live
Ad negatives to your media campaigns and keep them up to date
Keeping negatives up is a basic step missed in updating of campaigns.
- Use Googles keyword suggestions to see what may be a negative keyword / topic
- Maintain a standard list of unrelated words to upload to all campaigns
- Brain storm
- Review your analytics. If you’re not using a Search Technology
- Export all keywords out into Excel
- Split the keywords
- Find keywords that you not bidding on by comparing to your keyword list
- Review the remaining keywords
Example 1: Level Nine Sports
Review the creative
In the past weeks we have seen numerous creative’s that have typos, don’t align correctly or little thought was put into them. Checking these key areas will improve CTR’s.
- Setup a routine review process between key stake holders
- Auto populate in Excel, simulate all the formats how a text ad may be displayed.
Example 2: Graysonline.com.au in Google
Check the landing page
Sending potential customers to an error page or the incorrect landing page is a huge loss leader for advertisers. There are a few easy steps to ensure this is not happening.
- Some technologies automatically will find this – ensure you have an urgent alert setup
- Setup alerts in GA to track for errors / specific page elements – i.e. If not the landing page title which is expected send alert
- Create a header return script to check for all landing pages in a campaign
Example 3: Agency Symposium Landing page Database connection error
Check where it will show up
Where is the ad going to show? Your ad needs to be shown to relevant audiences, on relevant websites.
Example 4: Bank of Melbourne targeting Melbourne IP addresses
Example 5: News.com.au not setting their targeting correctly
This is a brief outline of just a few points you can undertake before pushing your campaigns live.
I hope you found it useful, if you have any questions or suggestions please leave a comment.